Saturday, August 16, 2008

Same Song -- Tenth Verse

I've been working with a young writer through email these past few months. I LOVE our exchange but she is frustrated by what she sees as her slow progress in turning that writer's corner -- you know the one if you are a writer -- it looks differently for each individual.

For her, right now, it is delving into a creative nonfiction piece, fleshing out the description of her family dynamics, using details to evoke an emotional response from the reader.

For me, it involves writing an interesting short story. Or creating a poem that is framed in the abstract more than the concrete -- its text calling for a wide range of interpretations. Or a humorous creative nonfiction.

Anyway, in encouraging her this evening, I typed the words just write, and I once again reminded that I need to take my own advice.

It is so easy to read Literary Mama submissions or a piece from my writing group and make suggestions to them for revision. It is quite another to sit down and write something of my own.

So, world (or at least to the five people who read my blog) I am committing to writing for at least 10 minutes a day. If I end up writing longer, fine, but 10 minutes is a sensible guideline, considering how I am an all-or-nothing type of thinker. I might post that writing here; I might not. I have also set a goal to have 100 blog posts by Halloween. Having begun this blog in January, '07, I have a grand total of 69 posts. My friend Daphne, who began her blog five months after I did, celebrated her 100th post exactly one year later. I'm slow, but now I'm determined!

I am going to write! Someone please hold me accountable! :)

No comments: