Thursday, March 8, 2007

Firsts

I am 56 years old and never think about ordinary "firsts" being part of my life. Of course, there are many extraordinary things I've never done like shaking hands with a U.S. President, publishing a book, or flying in a helicopter. But I'm speaking of the every day type of things.

This week I've had two "firsts": I made navy beans and ham. (That's unbelievable considering how easy it is!) AND, ta da -- I wrote my first pantoum.

Perhaps writing the pantoum needs to classified with the extraordinary. After all, it is a challenging form of poetry!

The Men in Her Life

On frosty winter mornings when the sky was black velvet,
Oatmeal bubbled on the stove while
Daddy turned the dial to WDAF 610
And crooned a tune with Harry Belafonte.

Oatmeal bubbled on the stove while
Daddy brushed the tangles from my hair
And crooned a tune with Harry Belafonte
"Day-oh, Day-oh -- Daylight come and I wanna go home."

Daddy brushed the tangles from my hair,
Rinsed the breakfast dishes,
And crooned a tune with Harry Belafonte,
"Workin' on banana boat all day long -- Daylight come and I wanna go home."

Daddy rinsed the breakfast dishes
And turned the dial to WDAF 610:
"Day-oh, Day-oh -- Daylight come and I wanna go home."
On frosty winter mornings when the sky was black velvet.

No comments: