Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Little Hen That Brooded

Recently my friend Jan shared, "I know God can do what I pray for, but I don't know if He wants to, so I think I need to worry!"

In light of what she said, God showed me I mistake brooding for praying and gave me a picture of myself as a little hen who sits on her nest, believing if I brood there long enough, one of the eggs will hatch a solution to my situation! It's such a waste of time and only ends in perplexity and anxiety.

The Bible Study Fellowship study of Isaiah has given me a glimpse of the immensity and enormity of God. Yet, the Creator of the universe, the orchestrator of history, has the time and the inclination to give me His tender, singular attention.

He is trustworthy and faithful and calls me to "not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." He doesn't promise every prayer will be answered as we hope, but He does promise when I follow this direction, "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

No comments: