Friday, July 24, 2009

Students

The year before I retired from public school teaching, God and I had a lot of talks. While I was eager to leave the bureaucracy and politics that have encroached on the creativity of both students and teachers, leaving my students was another matter.

I loved them like they were my own children, and I was going to miss interacting with them. God assured me there would be other students, and there have been. I taught summer school in 2005, thoroughly enjoying the 12 juniors who were in that class. I've been able to catch up with many former students on Facebook, and it has been so fun to learn what they are doing now.

Having spent my career at the middle and high school levels, I never thought that my heart would be captured by kindergartners, but that is exactly what happened during VBS. The week was a hectic one, but all I remember is five sweet smiles and eager faces filled with the wonder of exploring and learning. They love God, and I pray that faith will deepen as they mature, that they will walk with Jesus all the days of their lives.

God keeps His promises, and I am blessed!

No comments: